To make sure that they are able to take advantage of class time they need to make sure they have a survey question that will fit with the format of the assignment. Their data needs to fit onto a stem and leaf plot. This means that answers must be numerical and have a range of numbers. An example question would be: How long are the 30 top grossing movies of all time? How much does the 30 top soccer players per season|? How tall are are 30 students in the Junior division at O.M. Mackilliop? I have told the students that if they are not sure of their questions, they can email me. I have also suggested that if they are doing internet research for their questions, they should do it over the weekend, so that they can work on the graphing part of the assignment on Monday. (below are all the forms that are needed to complete the task)
2. There will be a short math test on scatter plots and line graphs on Tuesday. They will begin as soon as they get in and when they are finished, they will continue with their task.
3. There will be a Science Quiz on Thursday, January 24th on the forces that contribute to flight and bernoulli's principle and Gallileo's Theory.
4. Two students a week will be asked to find a current event news article, online or in print and will present it the class using a template. This week, Jordan and Lucas volunteered to start this off.
5. Students must complete their second, or reworked personal memoirs and have them handed in to me by Wednesday.
*Ms. Green J
Data Management Performance Task
Due at the end of class time on Tuesday, January 22
Curriculum
Expectations to be Met:
|
6m70
|
Collection and Organization of Data
|
– collect data by conducting a survey (e.g., use an
Internet survey tool) or an experiment to do with themselves, their
environment, issues in their school or community, or content from another
subject, and record observations or measurements;
|
|
6m71
|
Collection and Organization of Data
|
– collect and organize discrete or continuous primary
data and secondary data and display
the data in charts, tables, and graphs (including continuous line graphs)
that have appropriate titles, labels
and scales (e.g., with appropriate increments) that suit the range and
distribution of the data, using a variety of tools
|
|
6m75
|
Data Relationships
|
– compare, through investigation, different graphical
representations of the same data (Sample problem: Use technology to help you
compare the different types of graphs that can be created to represent a set
of data about the number of runs or goals scored against each team in a
tournament. Describe the similarities and differences that you observe.);
|
1.
Choose
a question that you would like to answer.
It can refer to an issue at school,
in the environment or on the internet.
2. Write an appropriate survey
question to ask the subjects of your survey.
Remember to make sure the question can be answered in multiple ways and
give your subjects choices in their answers (if applicable).
3. Collect your data from at least 30 people using a tally chart.
4. Display your data using a steam
and leaf plot.
5. Choose a graph to represent the
data . You may use a bar graph, double
bar graph, histogram, or line graph to show your data. Explain why you chose that graph.
6. Create a second graph and present
your data in a biased way. Explain what
you did to make the data appear in a more positive way.
7.
You
must submit all data, questionnaires and responses, including rough copies.
8. All graphs must be labelled and
neatly presented.
My Project needs:
|
Data collection
·
tally sheets showing information
·
data recorded
correctly
·
Stem and Leaf plot showing results
|
||
|
Graphs
·
Two graphs (bar graph, double bar graph,
histogram, line graph)
·
my graphs used different
scales , one showing bias
|
||
|
Graph #1
·title
·labels
·scale
·neat and accurate
bars
|
Stem and
Leaf Plot
·
Title
·
Labels
·
Neat and Accurate
|
Graph #2
· title
· labels
· scale
·
accurate points
|
|
Summary
·
a conclusion
based on the data
·
an explanation of
why I chose a certain type of graph
·
an explanation
of how the different scales change the view of the graph
|
||
Neatness Counts!
Data Management Performance Task Rubric Name:
________________________
|
|
Level 1
|
Level 2
|
Level 3
|
Level 4
|
|
Collecting Data
|
· I did not collect data for my graph by taking a
survey or completing my research online
· I recorded the information, with assistance
· I did not include my rough collection data
|
· I collected some data for my graph by taking a
survey or completing my research online
· I recorded the information with some accuracy
· I included some of my collection data
|
· I collected data for my graph by taking a survey or
completing my research online
· I recorded the information accurately
· I included all of my data
|
· I collected complex (e.g., 2 related pieces of
information) data for my graph by taking a survey or completing my research
online
· I recorded the information accurately
· I included all my complete rough data in one or more
forms
|
|
Displaying Information
|
· I did not create a Stem and Leaf chart to show my data
|
· I created a Stem and Leaf chart to show my data, with assistance
|
· I created a Stem and Leaf chart to show my data
|
· I created a Stem and Leaf chart and 1 other way to
accurately display my data
|
|
Graphing
|
· I was missing important parts of my graph such as
labels, a title, and scale or legend
· My scale did not fit my data
· My data was not
shown in my graph, or my data was shown with major errors
· I showed only 1 type of graph
· I did not compare how my 2 graphs represent my data
· I did not explain my choice of graph
|
· I created a line graph with some labels, a title,
and some scale or legend information
· My scale somewhat fit my data
· Some of my data was shown in my graph, or my data
was shown with mistakes
· I showed my data in only 1 type of graph
· I compared how my 2 graphs represent my data, with
some success
· I somewhat explained my choice of graph
|
· I created a line graph with appropriate labels, a
title, and scale or legend
· My scale fit my data
· My data was shown in my graph
· I showed my data in another type of graph using
different scales
· I compared how the 2 scales change the view of my
data
· I explained my choice of graph
|
· I created a visually-appealing line graph with
labels, a title, and scale or legend
· My scale fit my data
· My data was correctly shown in my graph
· I showed my data in another type of graph)using
different scales
· I compared how the 2 scales change the view of my
data and explained why this is done
· I explained my choice of graph clearly
|
|
Understanding Data
|
· My survey question was not appropriate to fit with a
stem and leaf plot
· I did not make a conclusion based on my data
|
· My survey question was simple and fit somewhat into
a stem and leaf plot
· I made an inappropriate conclusion based on my data
|
· My survey question worked with a stem and leaf plot
· I made a conclusion based on my data
|
· My survey question was complex an worked well with a
stem and leaf plat
· I made an appropriate conclusion based on data
·
|
No comments:
Post a Comment